Monday, July 11, 2011

Tumbling Towards The Right Future.

When I was four years old at my preschool graduation, I announced to my fellow peers, parents, and teachers that I wanted to be a cheerleader. I was completely confident in this career plan even though my mother told me she was disappointed in me for the first time at the age of four. When I ended fourth grade, I decided I was going to be a pediatrician and graduate from Vanderbilt. In ninth grade I decided I was going to be a lawyer. In 12th grade I decided public relations was the way to go. Summer after twelfth grade, I chose law. Beginning of my freshmen year in college, I was dead set on public relations again. Second month into college, I was confident in marketing. End of freshmen year I once again strongly believed majoring in government and going prelaw was my life plan. I’ve changed my major three times and minors four times.

Honestly, I don’t understand why we have to choose and be confident in what we’re going to be at the age of 18.  In middle school math, they teach you to guess and check. You work, solve the problem the best you can, and then check your answer at the end. Trial and error, my friend.

When we were in elementary school and confident in our hopes and dreams to become astronauts and doctors we had nobody questioning us in our decisions. There was no pressure or anxiety making us worried about choosing the wrong major or career in life. This is what Sonia says on the matter, forget everyone and do what makes you happy. Just keep in mind the pros and cons of your decision, weigh your options, think logically, and do whatever you want. While I have chosen a prelaw major and a minor in Spanish, I finally made this decision because its what makes me happy, not my family, not my friends, just me. I may not be tumbling down a football field screaming, “go team go,” but I have no problem owning the court room in one of my many hot custom made suits.

No comments:

Post a Comment